SRTU Meeting July 26th, 2012
As many of you know we had a series of events which necessitated cancelling our our June meeting. We are now back on track and have rescheduled our next Smith River TU meeting for Thursday, July 26th. Details below:
Smith River Trout Unlimited will meet at Rania’s Restaurant in uptown Martinsville, on Thursday, July 26, 2012, at 6:30 pm. Mary Dail, Regional Coordinator from the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality’s water monitoring staff will give a presentation on DEQ’s water quality efforts and the associated challenges in the Smith River. Specifically, she will summarize the benthic macroinvertebrate community (or aquatic invertebrate) impairment and the ongoing study that DEQ is conducting to identify stress(es) to the aquatic invertebrate community. (In layman’s language – she is going to tell us why we do not have a lot of insect life on the river and what is needed to change that)
In addition to our feature presentation we will hear from SRTU President Darrin Doss on a variety of topics. These include:
- Summary of recent SRTU questionnaire / survey
- Update on SRTU Web presence: Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/SmithRiverTU Chapter webpage: http://smithrivertu.com/index.html
- After action report on our participation with Nat Greene Fly Fishers with Boy Scout event at Woodfield Camp, Asheboro, NC (May 12, 2012)
- After action report on our participation in the Friends of Philpott Expo (April 21, 2012)
- Stream clean up (Aug 4, 2012) Check out this link and sign up to participate http://www.facebook.com/LitterPickers#!/events/331941696883863/
- Booth at the Smith River Fest (Aug 11, 2012)
- Program for September meeting
- Any other business which would be of interest to the membership
You do not have to be a member of TU to attend our meetings.(You must be a member in order to vote on chapter business). Anyone who has an interest in the Smith River Fishery is encouraged to attend.
Rania’s provides us with a meeting space with the expectation that the majority of attendees will purchase a meal. (Good food, moderate prices). Address is 147 E. Main St., Martinsville, VA 24112. It is in the historic district of Martinsville known as uptown as it sits on a hill.
For information contact Chapter Pres Darrin Doss (276)340-3193 email@example.com Secy Al Kittredge, (910) 868-6235 firstname.lastname@example.org or check our website http://smithrivertu.com/index.html for more details and directions.