April Meeting Report
Minutes of SRTU meeting held at Riana’s Restaurant in uptown Martinsville on Thursday, April 2, 2015, at 6:30 pm (Meeting is makeup date for March meeting which was cancelled due to ice storm)
Meeting called to order by SRTU President Doug Jessie
Twenty three members and guests present
Reading of previous minutes suspended in the interest of saving time – minutes previously posted on chapter Website / Facebook page and emailed to folks on secretary’s distribution list.
Treasurer Scott Griffins reports our check book balance is $1,669.94. We held a raffle of donated fly fishing books which brought in enough to cover our guest speaker’s meal with some left over for the treasury.
• River Clean Up was held on March 28th. It was cool but we had sufficient turnout to get the job done. We concentrated on both sides of Hwy 22O Bypass Bridge which included The Great Road and Shady View Lane. We also cleaned nearby Process Road. The chapter hosted a cookout afterwards. Despite the cold a few hardy souls went fishing afterwards and reported good luck.
Meeting Theme and Feature Presentation:
• Orvis Endorsed Guide Matt Miles gave an excellent presentation on Musky, Striper and Smallmouth fishing. Matt is a full time guide who concentrates his efforts along the James and New River. This year he will also be set up operations on the Roanoke River in Weldon, NC during prime striper season. He said Musky are hard fish to catch and those who go after them should be prepared to put in a lot of time on the water. Stripers on the other hand are fairly easy during their spawning runs – 30 or more fish a day are quite common. Smallmouth provide great top water action during the summer months. If you would like to talk with Matt about booking a trip he can be reached at 434-238-2720 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Wayne Kirkpatrick told us that Blue Ridge Heritage, Inc (BRHI) will hold a Military Veterans Appreciation Fishing Event on Saturday, April 25, 2015 (Rain date April 26th). The event will be held at 902 Rock Castle Gorge Road, Meadows of Dan, [adjacent to the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) near milepost 170]. GPS 36°48’3.56″N 80°22’9.24″W . The site has a pond with a resident population of bass and bream. They have also stocked a truck load of trout for this event. Any legal method of fishing will be allowed. Participants may keep their catch. This is on private property, therefore a VA fishing license is not required. They have invited 25-30 regional veterans and their immediate family. Lunch will be provided. We have agreed to assist by providing a booth with fly tying and casting demonstrations. We’ll also assist with the actual fishing. Set up time will be 10:00 am the day of the event. They anticipate everyone will depart about 4:00 pm. Al Kittredge will lead the SRTU effort – if you would like to help contact Al via email email@example.com or cell phone 910-624-3457
We had a swap/sale shop set up and a few pieces of merchandise moved and some free fly tying material was snatched up.
• May 15-17, Group fishing/camping trip to Mt Rogers / Grayson Highland / Grindstone campground area. Club pays campsite fees. This is a great trip. Good fishing, good food and lots of fun. Contact Doug Jessie to sign up.
• June 4, Regular Meeting – “The Joys of Fly Fishing for Warm Water Species”. Presentation and fly tying demo by well known fly fisherman, tier and author Anthony Hipps.
• June 12-14, Fish, Lie & Tie, Bassett Cabin, Modest fee for campers so we can have dinner(s) catered, supply food, etc., excess funds to the treasury. Shane Pinkston has already coordinated for cabin and will take lead on this event. Al will assist
• August 8, Smith River Fest – Fly tie demo, talk up TU, casting demo. Eric Tichay lead, assisted by Dean Phoebus, Al Kittredge and others – we hope that means you.
• September 3, Regular Meeting. Salt water fishing, Al Kittredge will line up guest speaker. Fall back theme will be fly tying.
• September 12, Fish with a friend & cook out. Meet at Mirror Plant parking lot. Scott Griffin is lead on this.
• December 3, Regular Meeting, “Health of The Smith River” report from VDGIF. Al Kittredge will coordinate with DGIF for speaker.
Next regular meeting will be on Thursday, June 4, 2015
• “The Joys of Fly Fishing for Warm Water Species” – presentation by well known fly fisherman, tier and author Anthony Hipps.
Any errors or omissions in these minutes are entirely mine. Please refer any comments or questions concerning these minutes to SRTU Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 9120-868-6235